Pages

Thursday, May 16, 2013

God's Smuggler: God's Sense Of Humor

I never mentioned the school fees to anyone, and yet the gifts always came at such a moment that I could pay them in full and on time. Nor did they ever contain more than the school costs, and- in spite of the fact that the people who were helping me did not know one another- they never came two together.

God’s faithfulness I was experiencing continually, and I was always finding out something about His sense of humor.

I had made a covenant with God never to run out of money or school fees. My covenant said nothing about running out of soap. Or toothpaste. Or razor blades.
One morning I discovered I was out of laundry soap. But when I reached into the drawer where I kept my money, all I could find was sixpence. Laundry soap cost eightpence.

“You know that I have to keep clean, God, so will You work it out about the two pennies?” I took my sixpence and made my way to the street where the shops were, and sure enough, right away I saw a sign. “Twopence off! Buy your SURF now.” I walked in, made my savings, and strolled back up the hill whistling. There was plenty of soap in that box to last, with care, until the end of school.


- Brother Andrew Bijl, from God’s Smuggler. True story.

No comments:

Post a Comment