Pages

Thursday, May 16, 2013

God's Smuggler: Smuggling Bibles For A Persecuted Church

At a border checkpoint: When forty minutes had passed and the first car was still being inspected, I thought, “Poor fellow, they must have something on him to take so long.” But when the car finally left and the next inspection took half an hour too, I began to worry. Literally everything that family was carrying had to be taken out and spread on the ground. Every car in the line was put through the same routine. The fourth inspection lasted for well over an hour. The guards took the driver inside and kept him there while they removed hub caps, took his engine apart, removed seats.

“Dear Lord,” I said, as at last there was just one car ahead of me, “what am I going to do? Any serious inspection will show up those Rumanian Bibles right away. Dare I ask for a miracle? Let me take some of the Bibles out and leave them in the open where they will be seen. Then, Lord, I cannot possibly be depending on my own stratagems, can I? I will be depending utterly upon You.

It was my turn. I put the little VW in low gear, inched up to the officer standing at the left side of the road, handed him my papers, and started to get out. But his knee was against the door, holding it closed. He looked at my photograph in the passport and abruptly waved me on. Surely 30 seconds had not passed!

After driving away, the guard had the driver behind me open the hood of his car. My heart was racing with the excitement of having caught such a spectacular glimpse of God at work.


- Brother Andrew Bijl, from God’s Smuggler. True story.

No comments:

Post a Comment