Pages

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Operation Auca: The Miracle of Five Martyred Missionaries

On January 8, 1956, four missionaries and one missionary pilot administering to the Waodani Indians of the Ecuadorian rain forest were speared by a group of these Indians (Hunters equipped with guns had previously occupied the area and unfurled the bond between these Indians and the rest of the world). The story, dubbed Operation Auca, quickly reached media and several people tried to influence the widows of these missionaries to take action against the Waodani Indians. Instead, the widows forgave the Waodani, told them about God's love for them regardless of their actions, and even came to live with the Indians. This was only one portion of Operation Auca. In the following paragraphs, Steve Saint (son of martyred missionary Nate Saint) talks about a miracle that occurred immediately after the Indians had speared the five missionaries.

Discovering The Miracle
A number of years ago Olive Fleming Liefeld and her second husband Walt visited the site in the Ecuadorian jungle where Olive’s first husband Pete had been speared to death, along with Ed McCully, Roger Youderian, Jim Elliot and my father Nate Saint. Flying into a remote jungle airstrip they were met by my father’s sister Rachel. Aunt Rachel and several members of Waodani tribe led Olive and her husband down to the sand bar my Dad named Palm Beach. Seeing the place where her husband had been killed for the first time brought questions back to Olive’s mind. Questions that had gone unanswered for over thirty years. Answering her questions with Aunt Rachel translating was Dawa, wife of one of the attackers who was present during the attack. Dawa, still a teenager at the time, hid in the dense cane bordering the far side of the river, opposite Palm Beach, afraid to actually watch or take a more aggressive role. As Dawa recognized Olive’s interest in what had happened that memorable day, a day that shocked and transfixed much of the world, both Christian and non, she began to volunteer information that she thought might be of interest.

In the middle of her commentary she pointed to a place above the jungle canopy bordering the ridge just south of Palm Beach. “That is where we heard the cowadi (foreigners) singing”, she stated matter- of- factly. As Aunt Rachel translated Olive stopped her; “What does she mean she heard foreigners singing above the trees?”

Researching The Miracle
Olive, Walt and Aunt Rachel wondered if it could possibly have been a choir of angels. What a wonderful and humbling tribute that would have been from a gracious God who had just had five sons killed, their spear-riddled bodies dumped unceremoniously in the river by the beach where they had just two days before had an exciting and completely friendly first contact with two women and one man from the same village where their killers lived. Olive wanted to include this account of angel visitation in her book “Unfolding Destinies”, so she asked me to ask the three surviving Waodani warriors who had been part of that fateful killing party for verification. The opportunity came when I flew to Ecuador to help members of the tribe bury Aunt Rachel after she died of cancer.

One by one, each of the three men told me that they saw what appeared to be lights in the same place where Dawa had said she saw the heavenly choir. They were further away, but which might explain that what they saw was different. But all of them said that they heard singing. Nevertheless, they were somewhat tentative in their description. When a project was initiated to make a feature film and a docu-drama about the “Auca Story” very recently, the script writers wanted to include the “angels singing over the ‘Palm Beach’ martyrs.” As I reviewed the script I felt uncomfortable including any detailed re-enactment of something that I was sure had taken place but which had only been vaguely described.

In January 2002 I was asked to take the documentary film team to Ecuador to interview the Waodani who are the other half of this story. In the interviews with four of the 5 reaming Waodani survivors who took part in the Palm Beach attack in which my Dad and his four friends were killed, I tried to elicit more definition to what I had been told previously; but without success. The day after wrapping up the filmed interviews with the Waodani the film group and I were joined by tow friends of ours, Kevin McAfee and Steven Chapman. They had flown out to join us to do filming for Steve’s upcoming tour which will feature the “Auca Story”, as well as to film some footage for the documentary. Steven and I were sitting in the cooking house talking while Kimo, one of the warriors I had just interviewed, was trying to communicate with a member of the film team.

I was startled to hear music coming from the thatched long-house immediately behind us. Then I realized that Kevin was just checking out the sound equipment he had brought. Suddenly Kimo turned toward the music and listened intently . After a minute he commented, “manami ihindabopa” (just like I heard it.) I didn’t understand what he was referring to until I put together the obvious fact he was referring to the music and remembered that I had recently asked him about what he had heard at Palm Beach. Kimo resumed his sign language conversation. Suddenly he turned toward the music once again and very specifically affirmed “I have heard that before, long ago. That is what I heard, just like that, when your father died.” I explained to Steven Curtis what Kimo was saying, then called to Kevin to hold the music at that spot. It was clear that Kimo was referring especially to one motif in the music as being what he remembered.

I invited Kimo to enter the long house with us. Unfortunately Kevin could not tell us specifically where on the CD the music Kimo was referring to was located. Kevin started playing various pieces on the soundtrack. I couldn’t remember enough of what it sounded like to identify it. As the fifth or sixth piece started to play, Steven Curtis said, “I think this might be it.” Almost simultaneously Kimo said, “I saw lights like stars and that is what I heard.” Then he added, “When I heard that long ago, I didn’t know what it was. I was afraid. Hearing it I knew we had done a bad thing there. Now, no longer living angry and hating, I see it well that you have returning brought this (they don’t have a word for instrumental music that I know of) back to us.” Then he got up and left the long house. Kevin pulled out the CD to find the title of the piece Kimo had identified. “You won’t believe this “ Kevin exclaimed. “Look,” and he pointed at the CD, it is cut #8.

God's Carvings
Jesus told us “Go into all the world and make Disciples of all the Nations.” My father and his four friends joined the ranks of thousands of “God followers” who have given their lives to fulfill that commission. The title of the sound track Kimo recognized as being what he heard after killing my Dad and Jim and Pete and Roger and Ed; a piece written specially for the Documentary film (being made to tell the story of God’s plan to reach a tribe of people off in the Amazon jungle who were insignificant in almost every way except that God loved them and wanted them to know they could become His children throughout the sacrifice of Itota “God’s only child, a son.”) is “Every Tribe, Every Nation.”

God has entrusted “His very good carvings” to us! But only the uninitiated or extremely unobservant don't want to believe that He still has His hand in seeing that His message reaches every tribe, every nation, every tongue and every people. I have never questioned God’ right to use my father’s life. Dad turned his life over to God as a young boy. I have never asked for an apology from the men who killed him, and I have never received one. I have never forgiven them either. It never occurred to me that I should forgive them for something which, though they meant for evil, God very clearly intended for good. As I listened to music, just written, which Kimo clearly asserted he had heard at Palm Beach, my heart swelled with a sense of well-being. God took what five men could not keep and exchanged it for something they can not lose. It’s our turn now, to make the same deal and give our lives away!

Angels, Yes, I Think It Was Angels

More On Operation Auca:
The Book That Got Me Inspired
Nate Saint's Story As Told By Steve Saint

No comments:

Post a Comment